July 16, 1961 – October 27, 2018
For the past 18 months, Scott battled cancer with gritty determination. His practical, scientific mind was open to all methods of healing. He fought like hell, and in true Scott form, surrendered gracefully on his own terms.
If quality time were hard currency, we’d be billionaires. Here are a few reasons he rocked our world.
1. Scott inherited his mom Hannah’s gift for baking. His pumpkin pies, made with real pumpkin – not filling, were legendary. When life handed him lemons, he made lemon meringue coconut tarts.
2. Real men love fashion. Scott personified GQ, flashing bright colours and trendy outfits like a boss.
3. He was a major league sports fanatic, rooting for the Denver Broncos, Calgary Flames, and Formula 1 racing heroes. He especially loved the Toronto Blue Jays, claiming a BJ was better than a Yank.
4. Scott was an avid reader, and a firm believer in lifelong learning. He liked to remind Abby “you can never learn too much.”
5. In December, Scott would have celebrated 11 years of sobriety.
6. You had to warn Scott he was on speaker phone. He was famous for his quick-fire temper and extensive curse word vocabulary. #nofilter
7. He loved to putter, and was an excellent handyman and household MacGyver. Fuck was his favourite unit of measurement.
8. Scott’s greatest achievement was his beautiful daughter Abby. Always the handyman, when it came to fatherhood, he nailed it.
9. On November 7, Scott and Lori would have celebrated their 22nd wedding anniversary.
10. In the last few years, Scott became an enthusiastic bird watcher. He didn’t give a hoot who made fun of him.
11. Lori’s biggest competition occurred the moment Scott laid eyes on a sleek, sexy BMW motorcycle. It was love at first sight.
12. Scott was passionate about cars, and kept his vehicles immaculate. If you were lucky enough to have him as a passenger in your car, he’d provide free (non-stop) driver ed coaching.
13. Scott got great joy tending to his garden. When he got tired, he’d plant himself on the couch.
14. Scott’s spirit animal was a (lone) wolf.
15. Who you are tomorrow begins with what you did today. Scott had incredible work ethic, and to him, acts of service were a symbol of respect.
For those wishing to pay their respects, a celebration of Scott’s life will be held on November 17.
When: Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018
Time: 2:00 pm
Where: The Bow Valley Club
Address: #370, 250 – 6 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB
I’am so sorry to hear if Scott’s passing. My deepest sympathies to Lori, Abby, Bonnie & the McGillvery Family. A beautiful write up of Scott . A former Swift Current neighbour & classmate . May you find comfort in your Wonderful memories
I am so sorry to hear Scott lost his battle. He was indeed a great fellow and will surely be missed by so many. My love goes out to Lori and Abby and your family at this difficult time <3
was hoping for a different ending……..
sending my condolences to you and everyone who loved scott.
The world is a poorer place without my friend Scott in it.
Lori and Abby, I am so deeply saddened by your loss.
I’m not a religious person but there was a clear sky here in Edmonton on Monday morning. As I went to go to work in the darkness, I looked up at the beautiful starry sky. I wished my old friend well on his journey. I’ll say again what I said then, goodbye old friend., we’ll miss you.
I am truly very sorry to hear this. It sounds like the world is a much better place because he was in it. Sending my love.
So sorry to hear the news! Thinking about you all at this sad time… Love your tribute!❤️❤️❤️
❤️ Sending my love to you all!
Lori, Glen and I are so sorry to hear of Scott’s passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this very sad time.
Our thoughts are with you ❤️
Moira and Ian
Beautiful. So much love to you and Abby.
Beautiful! Sending you girls lots of love ❤️
I was saddened when I read the news as I knew he had put up a gallant fight.
My deepest condolences to all of you. I know how much he will be missed
and how much he will miss all of his friends in family.
Our condolences to you and Abby. Our hearts are saddened for you all. May you speak of Scott often to keep memories alive. ♥️♥️
So sorry. Sending you my love. RIP Scott ❤️
We are so very sorry to hear of your loss. We were cheering him on as you updated his journey on your blog. Sending peace and strength to you all in these difficult days ahead. ❤️ Glen and Wanda Leavins
So sorry to hear that Scott has lost this battle. My heart goes out to all of your family.
Scott was a great friend and brother. Beautiful and fun words Sangria Sisters.
I am so sorry to hear about Scott. Please accept my sympathy and condolences Lori and Abby.
Sending you lots of love and light…you will be on my mind and in my prayers.
As always, your humor paints a beautiful picture of a life journey.
A great tribute to the wonderful husband and father you loved deeply.
Sincere condolences to you, Abby and Martini.
Love and Hugs,
Shellie & Don
Our thoughts are with you. Love to you all.
Lori & Val
So sorry to hear this sad news. I will keep you in my thoughts at this difficult time.
This was a beautiful tribute. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time.
Will keep you in my prayers.
how very sad to hear this news. Sending warm hugs to Lori Abby and all Scott’s family … 🙁
Wonderful words! Love all the little glimpses of his life and who he was. Sending love and hugs! xoxo
So sorry for your loss.
Sending strength at this difficult time.
Thank you for that loving, warm and real tribute.
Big hugs from The Morrices.
Thinking of you and Abby and praying for strength as you move forward. Thanks for sharing a little about Scott with us. Hugs to you all.
My heart aches for you all. Gone too soon. My prayers and condolences to everyone.
And don’t forget his love of “Martini” and I loved his whiskey laugh paired with his sharp wit. I was always in awe of his sense of style, he will be missed. Love to all, Karen and John
Lori and Abby I am so sorry for your loss. This was such a beautifully written tribute to your love. I will continue to reflect on Scott’s wise words “Who you are tomorrow begins with what you did today.” And that “you can never learn to much.” You and your family are in my prayers. Hugs. ❤️ Verna
We are very sad to hear this devastating news of Scott’s passing. We hope all can find peace and comfort in their memories and time spent with Scott. Our thoughts are with you Lori, Abby and the entire family.
Sending the Sangria Sisters and their families ❤️ and more ❤️
My heart breaks for you , may you find strength in all the love that surrounds you and courage in the memories you share of your life together. I love your tribute, an I may have to steal Scott’s measuring tool , “fuck” cancer! Such a brave and courageously fought battle!
My strongest memory of Scott when we were growing up was his boundless energy. It’s no surprise that he fought so hard for so long. A great man gone too soon. My condolences to Lori, Abby, and Scott’s family..,
Dear Laurie, So sorry to hear this , I never met Scott but the picture you painted of him makes me wish I did. So many memories to cherish.” The day which we fear is our Last is the Birthday of eternity” . Sending Love to u and your family. Laura Fabbro
So sorry for the loss of your twin brother Bonnie, My condolences to you and your family. May the good Lord wrap his loving arms around you and your family and bring comfort to you at this time. May you rest in peace Scott and rise in glory. HUGS BONNIE
Our deepest condolences to Lori and Abby and to all who loved and admired Scott! Take Care my dears. Sending hugs to you both! ❤️
So sorry for your loss.
Thank you for sharing these beautiful words written to honour a beautiful man.
We are very sorry for your loss.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you who loved him so deeply.
I’m so sorry for your loss, I only met you and Abby through karate, we had so much fun learning together. Love and hugs to you both, so sad he lost this fight. Always a believer, hoping he would defeat the odds….
I’m so sorry to hear this, Lori. What a beautiful and touching tribute. Thinking of you and your family at this time.
Sisters that was beautiful ❤
A Beautiful tribute Lori I’m so sorry for your loss. I had the pleasure of cutting Scott’s hair for many years. Thinking of you and Abby .