Since arriving in Scottsdale on Aug 23rd, I’ve been receiving healthcare from the Envita Medical Center. The plan includes specific IV treatments done every Monday to Friday to build my immune system and detoxify my body.
Along with treatments I’ve started a completely different diet than I’ve been used to. This includes eating only organic food comprised of chicken, fish and a ton of fruits and vegetables. Processed sugar has been completely eliminated as it feeds the cancer. The meals are tasty but I really miss sugar-frosted cereal and midnight snacking on chocolate bars.
On September 18th targeted Chemotherapy was added to my routine two times per week. There’ll be a total of 8 treatments, and right now I’m at the halfway mark. I was battling a low white blood cell count, which has forced me to miss a week of chemo until the count was higher, but we’re working to control that.
The side effects are minimal. The main one is the mucositis that’s causing sores on my tongue, making it difficult to eat and sleep at times. And of course my energy is pretty low so a few naps a day are required. Lori ‘s been napping with me in what she calls a ‘sign of solidarity’.
Overall I feel pretty good and am surprised by the so few side effects that I actually have. I can’t wait to come home to our daughter, the dog and my own bed. Mark and Sandy Yozipovic have been excellent hosts, providers and friends and we can never thank or repay them enough for what they have done for us.
SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED IN THE JOURNEY, AND CONTINUE TO KEEP US IN THEIR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. ~ Scott, Lori, and Abby
More reasons to be thankful:
1. Thankful for Tom Petty and his lyrics to live by. “You never slow down, you never grow old” ~ Mary Jane’s Last Dance
2. We’re over the moon for all the Norma Rae’s and strong women who came before us, paving the way for a smoother (Sally) ride.
3. We’re 100% relieved there were no camera phones when we were growing up.
4. I’m grateful for books you can get lost in. It beats the hell out of reality.
5. I’ve learned to accentuate the positives, and medicate the negatives.
6. Canadians are indebted for gun control laws that advocate muskets over assault weapons.
7. Grateful to hear the garage door open whenever the kids have the car. They complain there’s nothing to do, then stay out all night doing it.
8. The sweet relief of unhinging the bra that binds me.
9. I’m thankful I never got caught in threadbare pj’s on early morning school drop-offs.
10. To our sisterhood of subscribers, thanks for being the shit. The next time someone asks why I give thanks, I’ll reply “how much time do you have.”
JOIN THE SISTERHOOD. Subscribe today!
Be a pal, and share the shit out of us.
All of this is such great news! Way to go Scott 🙂 It is indeed something to be thankful for, this life, this journey, and the family and friends that are on that journey with us. Happy Thanksgiving <3
Happy Thanksgiving Margot! You never know what challenges life’s going to throw at you. It’s a good reminder to make your life a happy one.
Yes there is so much to be thankful for in this cruel world…. Scott our thoughts and prayers are with you,your family and your medical team! I am sure that you will be back in Canada kicking butt before long….CHEERS!!
We’re going to kick ass and take names!! Cheers to you and your lovely boys.
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! We think of you all every day! Abby is coming for dinner tomorrow night for warm up before a night downtown – then Erin arrives Saturday and the three are off to a concert – I know you are all counting sleeps before she arrives! Love to you!
Abby sure likes Erin and Ky. Thank you for your never-ending support and love Tammi! Have a fabulous weekend with your family all together.❤️xoxo
Such great news to hear Scott. You look great in the picture!!! Glad to hear how you are doing as we have been thinking of you, Lori and Abby a lot. We wish you continued success and health and look forward to you being home and reunited with your friends and family!!!!
Lesley, Brian and the kids
Thanks for always being in our corner Lesley! Greatest neighbours ever!
We think of you so often Scott…and your two girls. We’re grateful that you have a such a strong support team. We’re rooting for you!
Ron and Bette Lewis
So happy to hear from you Bette! We will forever miss Vera’s birthday parties, which were the glue for the Pilgrim family!