You can’t grow up with the last name Pilgrim and not pay homage to Thanksgiving. It’s a holiday devoted to eating more than you can lift, and a chance to count your blessings now…and the calories later.
I’m thankful for…
1. A mounding plate of mashed potatoes. The turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie are just gravy.
2. Processed melted, spreadable, fine, creamy, rich, sharp. In queso emergency, I pray to cheezes.
3. If you ever hear me utter “I hate pizza,” it’s either Opposite Day, or I’ve been abducted and that’s my kill code.
4. I’m thankful to greasy fast food for mopping up my leftover booze like a swashbuckler.
5. I’m thankful for dark chocolate…which is where I eat it when I’m not sharing.
6. I’m thankful my cup runneth over…with wine.
7. Good fuckin’ riddance bathing suit season. Hello sweaters that hide my third roll. Not only do they wrap you in a hug, they hide a multitude of Corona’s.
8. I’m thankful for men in uniform. Especially baseball pants.
9. I’m thankful the Blue Jays won the American League East title and clinched a playoff spot for the first time in 22 years. The beer fest that followed was classic, and so typically Canadian.
10. I’m thankful for girl’s weekends filled with balls to the wall fun. We bring the Vegas to Fairmont.
11. I’m thankful for a teenage daughter with a driver’s license, eliminating the need to stay sober on a Friday night.
12. I’m thankful Miley Cyrus isn’t my daughter.
13. I’m thankful there’s a wine pairing for everything, for example, any wine pairs well with my mouth.
14. I’m thankful my hubby still uses pick-up lines like, I must be hunting treasure because I’m digging your chest.
15. I’m thankful for the vibrant colours of fall. Last week, we celebrated Val’s birthday with a roomful of beautiful women who made the night a “Vin Gogh” work of art (see Sister Shout Out).
16. I’m thankful for perspective given by the photoblog Humans of New York, by profiling the history and humanity of new immigrants.
17. I’m eternally grateful that energy efficient, high capacity, steam dryers replaced clotheslines. Mad respect goes out to our mothers and grandmothers.
18. I’m thankful I’m not dyslexic. That would be nucking futs.
19. I’m thankful for cookbooks. If I had to come up with meals from scratch, my family would be nothing but a wishbone.
20. I’m thankful for the sanctuary of my family home in Swift Current, and for our mother who is a pillar of strength, beauty, and support.
Tunes you should have on your iPod:
Jonny Lang ✦ Thankful
ABBA ✤ Thank You for the Music
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats ✺ Thank You
Check out this week’s Sister Shout Out ~ Vin Gogh Paint and Sip
JOIN THE SISTERHOOD. Subscribe the fuck today!
Refer a friend, or share using the Facebook and Twitter icons below.